The original Latimer Primary School opened on Latimer St in Anstey in
January 1896. Its first Headmaster was a Mr. John Bassett. The original
building still stands and houses our years 5-6. Due to the number of children
regularly attending school more classrooms were needed, with 3 rooms
established at the Methodist school rooms on Cropston Road.
These were in use until 1912 when the Latimer Street site was expanded.
The Nook was used as their playground as there was only
1 or 2 vehicles in the Village at the time.
The Nook was also used in 1911 for the school celebration for King George V's.
By 1903, Mr C H .Lewis became headmaster and he was responsible for
many varied activities in the village. A collection of wild life exhibits was
built up, and there was even a stuffed otter on display; apparently, it had been caught in the brook!
During the First World War (1914- 1918) Mr Lewis organised the local war effort and older girls at the school were formed into a Red Cross unit. Others were sent out to collect blackberries and apples for the farm, and acorns and acorns for the pigs.
There were regular checks on the children’s attendance especially at harvests time! With the expansion of the school, the new Latimer block became the junior school and Bradgate – Rd the Infant school until eventually the sites were merged and the children all attended the Latimer Street building. The school site has altered in parts over the years but many original buildings remain.